When building a custom home, the process can be stressful and demanding, making you feel anxious and drained. Or, it can be an easy and enjoyable experience, giving you a sense of energy and excitement for a new beginning. What makes the difference?
Understanding the custom home building process before you begin helps. Selecting the right builder is key.
The Custom Home Building Process Begins with You
The process of building a home varies depending on the builder you choose, the type of home you build and where you build it. But in general, successful custom home building projects begin with important steps the buyer takes.
1. Determine an estimated budget. Learn about the costs and fees involved in the design and construction of a custom home. Determine a total cost you expect to pay and the maximum amount you are willing or able to spend.
2. Explore financing options. A construction loan is different from a traditional loan to buy an existing home and can be a complex process. Talk to your financial advisor. The trusted builder you select can also provide information and may be able to assist you in the process.
3. Choose a general location. Deciding where to build your custom home is one of the most importance decisions you will make in the home building process, and should be one of the first steps you take. If you already own property you want to build on, that decision is made. If not, decide on a general location. It can make a difference in the builder you choose.
4. Select an architect and builder or design-build firm. (Read a discussion about the differences.) Keep in mind that making your selection based on cost alone can become costly. Find a firm with a good track record, one you can trust. Read reviews and view finished projects. Consider time in business, company affiliations and accolades. Take as much time as you need to feel confident in your selection.
5. Avoid delays and cost overruns. Planning the many details of your home before construction gets underway helps avoid cost overruns and delays in the build. You can begin this planning process before meeting with your architect/design-build firm. Start with a list of must-have features as well as a wish-list. Be prepared to discuss your likes, dislikes, preferences, lifestyle and more with your home designer to ensure the house is custom built for you.
6. Keep communication open throughout the process. The ability to communicate well with your architect and builder or design-build firm is vital to success of the project. The firm should explain their process in advance and be transparent about the costs and construction timeline from start to finish. If you feel you cannot communicate with the people you will be working with, or don’t see efforts made to ensure transparency, you’ve chosen the wrong firm.
Making the Process of Building a Custom Home Enjoyable & Stress Free
The exceptional people at Frankel Building Group, a leading design-build firm, are dedicated to making the custom home building process fun and stress free. It is those people and their customer service oriented home building process that makes Frankel stand out.
As a full-service firm, Frankel can assist with some of the process steps listed above, including lot acquisition and real estate matters, financing and mortgage, design and construction management. They provide verifiable information throughout the website to assist in your research. And they let you decide how involved in the process you want to be.
You will be provided access to Frankel’s web-based construction management software, enabling you to see and be involved in the building process. You can check the status of your home at any time through the software and an available iPhone app. Frankel’s iPhone app also outlines the budget, making building costs and fees more transparent.
Frankel will meet with you several times throughout the process in the company’s design studio, located in the LADCO Washington Park Design Center. In the FBG Design Studio, you can see finishes from 60-plus vendors and easily select your home’s surface materials. Although you can use other resources for your finishes if you prefer, the design studio makes the custom home design process convenient and fun.
We invite you to contact us and learn more about the process of building a custom home with Frankel Building Group. Let’s make building your custom home enjoyable and stress free!